Thursday 14 May 2015

Bangkok: Markets, Hipsters and Queens.



Right, this is going to be a short one, as it’s 14:43 and I haven’t left the hostel yet.


My last day in Bangkok was a slight bonus. I had planned to leave this morning for Ayutthaya, but some of my cycling-surfer buddies from yesterday said that they were heading to Ayutthaya the following day, and were going to check out the famous Chatuchak weekend market today. After a week of fairly full on travelling, I was really craving a lazy morning of photo-editing, blogging, and unlimited free hostel tea. I really didn’t feel like waking up at 6am to catch a train.


So my plans changed, and I had an extra day in Bangkok. With my morning and early afternoon exhausted, I headed out with my dorm buddy Costa-Rican-not-definitely-not-Indian-Lex to Chatuchak.


You know when someone from Bangkok says it is a big market, it is going to be big. But it was seriously ridiculously huge. So much so that there were helpful maps and guides to help you navigate the site - they don’t even have these at the Grand Palace. It was also so busy, even though we arrived later afternoon when the market was starting to close up for the night.


We had nothing to do except wait for other people to arrive at 6.30, so we just wandered around and I took sneaky artistic shots of the market stalls.


20150510_163149_HDR.jpg
I only realised this fruit was fake when I was editing this photo...


20150510_163742_HDR.jpg
So many lights, so much pretty!


As we had plenty of time to waste, we indulged in a massage. It was more...healthy than relaxing.

20150510_174006_HDR-COLLAGE.jpg
The clock tower is only included here as otherwise the collage didn't display correctly...


When we were finally all together at 6.30, the five of us headed to the neighbouring Vintage Night Garden. It was painfully hipster, in a spoilt-rich-kids-trying-too-hard kind of way. It was however really interesting to walk around, and nestled in the middle of the market was the best food court I have sampled so far. The highlight for me was that there was no English signage, so you had no idea what anything was, which for me is exciting and a brilliant way of discovering new foods.


20150510_194056_HDR.jpg
I don't know what it is, but it was delicious.


20150510_191112_HDR-COLLAGE.jpg
Night market delights. We need pick'n'mix sushi stalls in the UK!


It was just a brilliant market, with great food, and it was very insightful with regards to the lives of rich Thai youngsters. Bless them, they all thought they were so cool.


The plan was then to head off to Silom for drinks, but Daniel decided to spend his last night in Bangkok with his Couchsurfing host Nong; Adam went shopping; and Celine headed home, so that left just Lex and I. He had been spending the last few nights in Silom Soi 4, the gay bar street, and invited me along to experience it. I had really wanted to see this slightly more seedy side of Bangkok, along with neighbouring Patpong.


It really didn’t disappoint. Patpong was full of elderly, fat, white men either sitting with their bored, young Thai prostitute, or eyeing up passing ‘skirt’ deciding who they would be taking home. It was awful, though it’s gay equivalent was for me far, far worse. I was almost dragged into a ‘sexy boy show’ (I caught a glimpse through the door, and the go-go-boy needed to go-go-put-his-pants-back-on), and felt myself being eyed up by the prostitutes optimistically. It was just gross.


We eventually took shelter in a quiet bar where Lex and I tried to see if we could get any free drinks from the guys within. Neither got anything free except a kiss on the cheek from a few waiters. We headed on after I had a slight altercation with the waiter (I am not interested in being propositioned in a fucking toilet, and this 4ft nothing skinny-arsed skanky bitch certainly wasn’t going to persuade me otherwise!)


The rest of the evening was a drunken blur of gossip and a vague memory of a drag queen singing Diana ‘Woss’ very well.


20150511_023850_HDR-COLLAGE.jpg
Selfies


20150511_021439_HDR.jpg
Brilliant drag queen act - the audience loved her.


DSP


PS: It's now 15:21 - a whole blog written, editied and prepared in just 38 minutes. Who says this blogging this is hard!

No comments:

Post a Comment