Tuesday 2 June 2015

Luang Prabang Days 3 & 4: Waterfalls, Watching Kittens and Not Watching Eurovision

This will be a quick blog...I have people to see and beers to drink tonight.


For our third day in beautiful Luang Prabang, we decided we’d seen enough temples and buildings, and fancied something a little more natural. So we decided to head out to Kuang Si waterfalls, an hour by sorgnthaew outside of the city.


We had planned to head out early and organise our own sorgnthaew, but we I woke up late, and whilst I was attacking my third cup of tea an American girl came and asked if we wanted to share the one she had arranged, to spread the cost.


This is why the social hostels are the best; more people doing things where you can share the cost of overpriced sorgnthaew.


We all squashed into the back of the sorgnthaew, and after waiting for a Canadian with food poisoning (a all-too-frequent danger in this country), we were off bouncing along mountainous roads, and inching over bridges of planks-and-nails.


At the foot of the falls, there was a small tourist village with food stalls and souvenir huts. I bagged myself a mango fruitshake, and then paid my entry fee into the waterfall park.


However, upon walking through the gates, these are what I saw:


20150523_125522_HDR.jpg
Black lumps on wooden decks.


Within the park there is a sanctuary for Asiatic Black Bears that have been liberated from poachers or been stranded by deforestation. There were over a dozen of the sloth-like black masses lolling on platforms or itching themselves in pools. I did sympathise for them having to deal with the humid heat whilst wearing black fur coats; I would also spend my day sat in the drinking pond if I were in their position.


20150523_125515_HDR.jpg
A bear cub with some bears.


After admiring the immobile black lumps that signs informed me were bears, we pressed on and saw our first sight of the waterfalls.


20150523_130449_HDR.jpg


The waterfall is actually a long chain of bright-blue pools staggered and spread down a gentle hill for around half of a kilometre. As we climbed, the pools became more and more beautiful.


20150523_130802_HDR.jpg
Paradise...if a little full.


I honestly do not think I have ever seen water as clear and blue as at the falls; they really were a paradise, and I understood why they were a must-see attraction of Luang Prabang. Sadly their perfection attracted many other tourists and Lao, and were very crowded in places. However, they were large enough to escape the worst of the crowds and find your own shelf of paradise.


20150523_141930_HDR.jpg
The colours here were just amazing.


We (Alex, Niko and myself, plus our new friends Corey, Laura and Niko) soon couldn’t resist the bright-blue, cool water, and headed in. Alex and I were the only ones to brave a full-on swim, as the pools were full of small fish of the variety that you find in fish spas nibbling on feet. That sounds fine in general, but Laura, Corey and Ailen all had burns or other cuts and scrapes on their arms and legs, which when immersed in the water, the fish could smell/taste, and consequently focused their attention on these areas, much to the discomfort of the victims. Even I found their nibbles occasionally a little painful. And Niko was just too cool to go swimming. So the group for the most part stuck to the many ledges of the waterfalls, and the smaller rock pools, where the fish were unable to reach.


20150523_142002_HDR.jpg


It was so relaxing and cold (which in South East Asia can only ever be a good thing) sitting on ledges worn smooth by the water, in the dappled shade of the overhanging jungle trees, cool water rushing around your legs while your feet dangle into the pool below.


It was just paradise.


Eventually we dragged ourselves out of the water, and went to see how far these falls went up into the jungle.


It was then that we found the actual waterfall.


20150523_142800_HDR.jpg


We decided to take a group photo with the fall behind us, but with a group of six wrestling with a camera, tripod, and a bridge full of Chinese tourists trying to do the same, it took a fair while to organise.


I quickly got bored, and took selfies with the waterfall.


20150523_143054_HDR-COLLAGE.jpg
Yeah, this was Google that automatically combined these pictures - it's far too egotistical for me to do...right?


Eventually the group photo was achieved.


Kuangsi.jpg
Such a lot of work for a really, really bad photo.


Yes, well, once that was over, we all decided we wanted food, and for the first time ever in South East Asia, found it to be unavailable. There were just no food stalls available in the park. So, tummies rumbling, we tramped back down the hillside, and out of the park, on the hunt for baguettes and noodles and fruit shakes.


20150523_150440_HDR.jpg
The food was so good even the butterfly wanted some.


We may have all gone overboard. I had a pork banh me (French-inspired baguette), and had an amazing Mango and Banana fruit shake, which was made even better by the seller making too much, and giving me two shakes for the price of one.


My euphoria however was short lived when I received the tom sam (green papaya salad) I ordered. Now, tom sam is basically tomatoes and shredded papaya mixed together with a sauce made of lime juice, fish sauce, chillies, and roasted peanuts. It is delicious and refreshing and one of my favourite foods in South East Asia.


This som tam however was something else. The best way to describe the taste would be that it was akin to the smell of a dirty, unclean fishmarket at the end of a long, hot day. It was nasty, and disgusting, and just wrong. It made me decide to have no more papaya salad in Laos!!!


To make myself feel better, I bought a bracelet and another fruit shake, and then we all headed back in our sorgnthaew on the bumpy mountain road. It was a fairly uneventful journey, broken up only when our driver decided to do some fruit shopping on the roadside. I thought this was a little cheeky until two days later I watched the driver of the bus I was on from Luang Prabang to Vang Vieng stop on the roadside to buy hallucinogenic fungi. Compared to that, some mangos and bananas are remarkably tame.


20150523_161809_HDR.jpg
On the long journey home.


Now this should be where this blog entry ends. I was tired after a day of long, uncomfortable journeys interspersed with bear-watching, hill-climbing and waterfall-clambering. I wanted to grab some food, do some internetting, and go to sleep early. However Niko had other ideas.


In case I haven’t already made it clear, Niko is a screaming homosexual, and apparently the most important day of the year in 2015 for screaming homosexuals, such as Niko, was the 23rd of May.


Today.


Why you ask?


Because Eurovision.


Personally I do not see the obsession. I enjoy Eurovision well enough, and will watch it if I have no plans for whichever particular weekend in May it falls on each year. I find most acts hilarious bad, and especially enjoy the voting where inevitable every country has a spokesperson who wears a stupid outfit, garbles a few lines of the local language, and generally talks for much too long when there are over 40 of them to get through.


So I like Eurovision, but for Niko it is akin to a religion. He was up until 4am watching the semi-finals, and was determined to stay up tonight to watch the final. I had promised to join him, so I had a sleepless night ahead.


For dinner, I returned to the 10000K buffet once more, this time with Niko, Alex, and my friend from Thailand Lex, and his new Dutch friend. The lady was happy to see me, as I kept bringing her new customers. She even gave a discount on a bottle of water. For Lao people in Luang Prabang to give anything unasked is practically a declaration of eternal love.


After dinner, I bought a pair of ugly harem pants at the night market, and another bracelet (eight and counting), and then settled down back at the hostel to a long night of Eurovision, potentially broken up by a Skype call to parentals.


However, things did not go to plan. I ended up going for drinks in town with a local guy I’d met earlier in the day, and fell asleep on a sofa in his bar, only to wake up at 3am having missed several calls from parents and the majority of Eurovision.


So I walked back to the hostel, in the rain, on Skype to parents. I swear they thought I was off-my-face drunk for that conversation, but nevertheless it was nice to see them. Then I made it back to the hostel in time to join Niko in watching the voting and results, which is my favourite bit anyway, before staggering to bed at 5am.


It was not my most successful evening ever…





The following day was most definitely a day-off from sightseeing and travelling. Niko and I woke up late after a late night, and were joined by Alex and Laura from yesterday for a bagel brunch at Joma. Then we headed back to the hostel, and whiled away our afternoon on various pursuits. I wrote a blog or two when the internet allowed me too. Niko got through some work.


I increasingly became distracted by a pair of kittens which a Dutch girl staying in our hostel, called Demi, had found on the street and adopted. They were malnourished, and had eye infections, and she had her hands full keeping them fed, clean, and out of mischief.


I am not normally a cat person, but these were too cute for me to resist.


20150524_161753_HDR.jpg
So cute.


20150524_162357_HDR.jpg
Even more so cute.


In the evening, we all headed out for Indian, which was distinctly average, and then for a few drinks at a local bar. We headed to Utopia for a while, before heading back to the hostel. It was a very successful day-off, which when you are travelling for long periods of time is needed for your sanity!


DSP



Useful information:


  • Tuk-tuk to the falls varies in cost, but we paid (?) 100,000K for the entire vehicle return to the falls, which when shared by a large group is very reasonable.
  • Entry to Kuang Si waterfalls costs 20,000K (£1.60)
  • There is no food available within the waterfall site itself, so bring lunch from Luang Prabang or pick up supplies from outside the gates. The last stall before the gates on the right does brilliant shakes and coffees, though her banh mi (baguettes) leave much to be desired.
  • Sweden won Eurovision 2015. We got 5 points, which still beats Austria, Germany and France ;)


1 comment:

  1. Bonjour Etienne, je viens de parler avec Amandine sur Skype et elle m'a parlé de ton blog et de tes voyages. Je me suis inscrite et je te suivrai de loin. Ma fille ainée, Madhuri, finit ses ALevels demain et elle partira pour un mois avec World Challenge à Laos, Thailande et Chine. Nous partirons pour deux mois en Grèce et je pense faire un blog aussi pour mes amis et étudiants de français. Je t'embrasse et je te souhaite tout le meilleur. Evy

    ReplyDelete