Friday 3 July 2015

Pulau Langkawi Part 2: Lazing on beaches



There is few odd days of content here, where I am just filling in the gaps between photos of what I did whilst on Langkawi. Bear with, I'm just feeling gaps.



No, that is not 'what she said'. Dirty.



(Day 3: 22nd June 2015)



I spent much of this day relaxing in my hostel, or drinking expensive hot chocolate in Starbucks. I had intended to go out exploring on motorbikes with the peeps I had met in the hostel the previous night, but...I overslept, and they could not find me in the morning, so they headed out while I slept.



Oops.



The day was mostly uneventful. I made an apologetic phone call to the parentals and made my excuses for for missing our skype appointment. I eventually worked out some problems with my Malaysian SIM card (you need a minimum balance loaded in order to be able to access the packages you have already paid for....of course). I walked along the beach for a while.



Typical lazy hostel/beach day really.



In the evening, I headed back to the hostel, and eventually Frida, Stina, Rachel and David arrived back from a long day on bikes. They had some interesting sunburn lines. We all showered (separately) and then headed out for food together, eventually finding ourselves at a cheap local Malay restaurant, which joyfully had some Thai dishes on the menu as well. I of course got my old favourite of Som Tam which everyone agreed was delicious. 



Niko, I am slowly converting the masses to Tom Sam ;)



After food, the consensus was that we wanted beer/alcohol. We investigated a couple of the drinking options, which proved to be more expensive than the beach bar we had propped up last night, so we headed back for it. En route, we stumbled upon a little convenience store that stocked beer at prices I had not even seen in Thailand; Rm1.80 (£0.30) for a small can of local Skol beer. Yes!



After we had all stocked up, we walked onto the beach, sat in a line on the shoreline, and talked with the sound of the ocean murmured in the background. When we had exhausted these beers, we headed back to the ever-reliable beach bar, where we were forced to drink the incredibly expensive Rm5 beers (£0.85). More friends joined us, and shared in the beer and shisha, and admired (from unfortunately not such a long distance) the fire games of the barmen.






Yay, just what I need in tropical Malaysia; more heat.


The beach bar closed its...doors...shutters...well, it closed at 1am, and the group consensus was to head to a club that stayed open until four in the morning. Someone said it was only a ten minute walk. They lied. It was thirty minutes at least.


The club we ended up at, Sunba, was like all other Malaysian clubs, overpriced and mediocre, but they made a good G&T, so I was happy (my wallet...less so). We danced, we chatted, I watched others play pool, and tried to take some photos of the night. The photo below is the only non-blurred shot I took.




Around 3am, we decided to walk home. The alcohol for me had been too expensive for me to become drunk, so I took on the roll of babysitter for those of us who had managed to become inebriated. Here's a clue, it was the two photographed above: David and Frida. Frida decided that she was a dog, and went off to have a chat with a pack of feral dogs, claiming that she needed to bite one of them to establish her authority.


Yeah.


Meanwhile, David was staggering in the middle of the road, with occasional lurches off down turnings in the believe our hostel was hidden down it.


Yay, drunk people. :P


We eventually got back to the hostel at 4am, when we were supposed to leave to go on an island-hopping tour in just five hours time. I will let you decide for yourself if we made it.



(Day 4) 23rd June 2015


Today was another lazy day, where I did little other than nap and eat food. We got up late, and the others headed to the beach to sunbath and snooze on the sand, while I retrieved my scooter which I had parked somewhere the previous night.


I may have left the keys in the filler cap lock. Oops.


After a nap on the beach, and a swim in the sea, we (Frida, Stina, David and I) headed back into the resort for lunch, bumping into a very, very red Rachel on the way. Lunch was back at the delicious restaurant from last night. Three of the others had som tam, which made me glad I had introduced them to its wonders.


Tiring of the sun and the increasing amounts of sand in all my crevices, I headed back to the hostel, showered, and spent my afternoon back within the artificially-cooled embrace of Starbucks, before walking back onto the beach to finally capture a reasonable sunset shot.




After the sun had dropped below the horizon, I returned to the hostel, and then went out for dinner with Rachel at a local restaurant, which was delicious. When we had walked back to the hostel, we found Frida and Stina relaxing in the common area (David had left that afternoon for the Perhentians), and we spent the remainder of the evening watching the awful horror movie 'The Purge' before heading to sleep at around midnight.


Like I said, a slightly boring filler period on Langkawi, but I need to cover it, so read it, waste two minutes of your life, and have more optimism for the next post. ;)


DSP



No comments:

Post a Comment